Adventures from the Warm Heart of Africa



Monday, 13 June 2011

When the Plumber Came to Visit

A conversation between me (M) and the plumber (P) who came this morning to fix the kitchen sink but needed to come back to do some more work :

M:  That’s brilliant, Thanks so much. How much do I owe you?
P: You’re my friend. You decide what it's worth
M: Just tell me how much I should pay you mate
P: (shrugs)
M: (on a massive guilt trip because I only have 1,500 mwk) This is all I have. Is it enough?
P: (Grinning wildly) Yes! YES! Thank you!
M: Are you free tomorrow?
P: (looking confused) Free?
M: Well no, not free. But, are you available tomorrow to fix the other things?
P: Yes
M: Well can you come again then?
P: Yes
M: Excellent. So I’ll see you tomorrow morning at 9am
P: OK, no problem….so you will call me later to tell me when to come back?
M: No, you’re coming back tomorrow at 9 in the morning. OK?
P: Yeah, sure it’s true. So. Tomorrow or Wednesday?
M. Look, are you available tomorrow morning or not? Do you want to come on Wednesday instead? I can do either but tomorrow would be better. You decide.
P: You’re my friend. It’s up to you.
M: Tomorrow…Please
P: OK, no problem
M. Great
(Pause)
P: So, because you are my friend…I was thinking that my wife could come and stay here? With you?
M: What??!!
P: Yes, to help you
M: I beg your pardon…
P: To help you. My wife
M: We already employ like 4 people. We can’t really afford anyone else...(feeling mortified)...I’m really sorry
P: Sure, it’s no problem. I understand
(Pause)
P: So, see you Wednesday…or tomorrow?
M: (sigh) Wednesday’s fine

No comments:

Post a Comment