Thanks to everyone who sent me Happy Birthday texts, emails and Facebook messages. I felt very loved!
I spent the day moving into my amazing new digs in Area 3. A big ol’ rambling house that used to be notorious throughout Lilongwe for its parties…and its mess.
I’m pleased to say that it’s somewhat tidier these days and after a good bleaching and a few sprays of DOOM! to kill the swarm of mozzies that rose up out of Jelmer’s mattress, the room was looking (and smelling) great.
Add a few Chitenjes (Malawian cloth), a mosquito net, a huge map (bought for £2 on the side of the road), a rice paper light shade, some girly scarves and a vase of flowers and it’s now a lovely little nook. Not to mention the Hippo with MEG carved in it (thanks Hannah, an awesome birthday present), and my notebook (thanks Anna, a wonderful birthday present) and about 5 bottles of Malawian Gin, Rum and wine (thanks Tracey and Bev for the tasty and practical birthday presents!) .
I had lunch with the lovely Grace and then peeps came over for G&Ts and chocolate birthday cake (amazing!) with a BBQ at Mabuya Camp afterwards and a midnight swim (followed by hypothermia) to top it off.
Spending my 32nd birthday in Africa was a brilliant experience and thanks to my friends here who made it so wonderful. And also thanks to the people who acted shocked and amazed that I am over 30. I am eternally grateful…
x
No comments:
Post a Comment